Following V-E Day, the battalion began to move into consolidated positions
around Kitzingen, where it began training for anticipated movement to the
Pacific Theatre of Operations. The 2nd Platoon of Battery "A" continued its
operational role at Airstrip R30 and Battery "A" Headquarters moved to Rosstal,
nears its operational platoon. Battery "B" rejoined the battalion at Kitzingen
and was reassigned to the the 51st AAA Brigade on 16 May. Battery "C," except
for three lights which remained operational at Airstrip Y80, joined the battalion
at Kitzingen on 18 May, with those three lights also joining the concentration
at Kitzingen on 5 June.|
A full training program was carried on during this period, supplemented by the beginning of information and education activities. Small arms firing was stressed with the 1st Platoon of Battery "A" manning a German firing range a few miles from battalion headquarters. The 7th Signal Radar Maintenance Unit was attached to the battalion on 23 May, and was assigned to Battery "C," which had lost the 11th Signal Radar Maintenance Unit several months prior to this time.
On 7 June, Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Battery moved to a new command post at Rosstal, a few miles from Nürnberg, and all the rest of the battalion, with the exception of the 2nd Platoon of Battery "A," which continued to operate at Airstrip R30, moved to R42, a few miles from the new battalion headquarters, where a security defense was established.
Ed Edwards (front and center) with three buddies in the old Luftwaffe barracks
at Unter Biberg Airdrome, Summer 1945. (Photo courtesy E. D. Edwards.)
On 15 June, the entire battalion was transferred from the 51st AAA Brigade to the 56th AAA Brigade and moved to positions near Munich. Battalion Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, and those portions of each line battery which were not assigned an operational mission, were moved into German barracks on Airstrip R85 about 2 two miles south of Munich. Batteries "B" and "C" divided the mission of providing searchlights and security defense for R91 at Erding, while Battery "A" provided searchlights for R85, R93 at Holzkirchen, and R54 at Landsberg. Security defense of R85 was furnished by that of the battalion stationed on the field.
|In July, the battalion was relieved of the security defense of R91, but, in addition to its security defense of R85, it stationed lights at R54, R68 near Straubing, R70 at Kaufbeuren, R77 near Augsburg, R85, R91, and R93, and sent additional lights to Paris, where they were used to illuminate the Eiffel Tower for display purposes. Training was continued as well as a now enlarged information and education program; athletics were stressed and tours for battalion personnel were conducted regularly to points of interest such as Bertchesgaden, the concentration camp at Dachau, Brenner Pass, and Venice, Italy.|
|On 16 July 1945, the first personnel left the battalion under the redeployment program, with indications being that many more men and officers were soon to go.|
Return to Base!
Contents & Layout © Copyright 1996-99 Skylighters
Comments welcome at firstname.lastname@example.org