Pictured is the corner of Wright
and Fremont Streets, downtown Burgaw, during the early 1940s.
Close inspection of the photo shows (from left to right) the movie
theatre, with several strings of pennants above the marquee, which
reads "Walt Disney's Pinnochio" (released in 1940);
the Pender (illegible) Center, which seems to feature a bowling
alley; and a cafe, whose name cannot be made out. The three vehicles all seem to be early 40s models
(anyone who can identify the make and year of each, as well as
provide any more information about the photo, should contact
The 225th moved from Camp Davis to Burgaw, a distance of about 40 miles, on 1 July 1943, to set
up bivouacs and establish a fighter-searchlight grid covering some
290 square miles (see Chapter 4 of the Unit History,
Fighter-Searchlight Tactics). According to the batallion history
covering the period 20 January to 23 December 1943, "Battalion Headquarters was located on the
second floor of a loft building next to the Pender Moving Picture Theatre. Headquarters Battery's
bivouac area was situated a half-mile from town, on Route 53." Taken together, this
statement and the photo would seem to indicate that HQ was set up in the rooms above
the bowling alley and the cafe. Rick Langston, a Burgaw native (born 1955) never remembers the theatre
being in operation; according to Rick, it stood empty for a long time, and was finally torn down. The lot stood empty for a time, and was eventually replaced by an office building.
(Photo scanned by Rick Langston from History of Pender
County, North Carolina, Mattie Bloodworth, 1947).
The images below show Burgaw today and are reproduced here courtesy the Town of Burgaw.
Wright Street, downtown Burgaw.
Corner of Wright and Freemont Streets.
Where is Burgaw?
Click on the V-2
to Rocket to the Top!
Contents & Layout © Copyright 1996-2002 Skylighters (except where otherwise noted)
Comments welcome at email@example.com