HISTORY




COAST ARTILLERY BRANCH INSIGNIA (17 K) The (obsolete) Coast Artillery Branch insignia consisted of two crossed field guns, fashioned of gold-colored metal, with a scarlet oval with a gold projectile at the intersection of the field guns, 13/16 of an inch in height overall. Crossed cannons (field guns) for Artillery have been in continuous use since 1834, when they were placed on regimental colors, knapsacks, and as part of the cap insignia for Artillery officers. In 1901, the Artillery was divided into Coast and Field Artillery and the branch insignia was modified by the addition of a plain scarlet oval at the intersection of the cannons. The Field Artillery insignia approved on 17 July 1902 had a gold wheel on the red oval and the Coast Artillery had a gold projectile on the red oval. The Army Mine Planter Service was authorized this insignia with a mine case below the insignia by War Department Circular 25, dated 17 January 1920. The Army Reorganization Act of 1950 consolidated the Coast and Field Artillery to form the Artillery Arm and the crossed cannons were designated its insignia on 19 December 1950. The branch color was scarlet.


BACK TO TOP OF PAGE

Click on the V-2
to Rocket to the Top!



[ Main Menu | Ten Hut! | Sign In! | First Aid | History | Members | Memories ]
[ Photos | Credits | Signals | Links | Allies ]
1942-1945
Contents & Layout © Copyright 1996-99,2000 Skylighters
Comments welcome at webmaster@skylighters.org